[ExI] How not to make a thought experiment

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:09:28 UTC 2010

2010/2/25 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> And strong AI CANNOT be produced by Evolution unless Swobe is wrong.

So... do humans have strong AI?  Evolution produced us (barring
Creationist / Intelligent Designer Theory)

Oh wait, that's "artificial intelligence" - I got confused with
"actual intelligence"

Maybe we should have a term that disambiguates what we're discussing.
I considered "human intelligence" but that seems like a slanderous
put-down.  "Homosapien Intelligence" is too narrow and rules out
dolphins, monkeys, elephants, dogs, etc.  So then I was thinking of
"Fleshly Intelligence" but imagined the objection to a contrivance
using slabs of beef and a complex network of pulleys and buckets...
Really digging down to what evolution has produced in brains is a kind
of chemical dervish that keeps whirling about within the confines of
fuel/food and past performance.  Is it complete hubris to imagine that
some number of these brains could reflect on their own function long
enough to reproduce the effect using materials evolution did not?  I
don't think so.  We have yet to put the right clever monkeys to work
together successfully, but that's a combinatorial problem since the
Internet has all but solved the engineering issue.