[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Christopher Luebcke cluebcke at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 01:37:28 UTC 2010

This request seems to keep falling on deaf ears, but I'll state again that a question like "do thoughts have mass" absolutely cannot ever be answered if the people involved do not have a solid working definition of what a "thought" is.

If a thought is a unit of information, then no, it doesn't have mass. If you pass a high-powered magnet over the hard drive of my computer, the mass of the hard drive will not change, but the information will be destroyed. So too for adding information back to it.

If by "thoughts" you instead mean something like "thinking", then yes, it's a verb, and "thinking" doesn't mass any more (or less) than "running" or "typing".

What a massive category error. Do thoughts have mass? Depends on whether you've beaten your wife lately :P