[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:51:20 UTC 2010

2010/1/1 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:

> I maintain that 3 facts are undeniable:
>
> 1) It is virtually certain that random mutation and natural selection
> produced life on Earth.
> 2) It is virtually certain that evolution can see intelligent behavior but
> is blind to consciousness.

If you mean that intelligence improves a species' ability to survive
then I agree.

> 3) It is absolutely certain that there is at least one conscious being on
> this planet.

Granted, allowing for the possibility that "this planet" doesn't
really exist as we think it does.

> From that I conclude that intelligent behavior must produce consciousness.

OK, here you lost me. I don't see how you can say anything stronger
than "intelligent behavior *can* produce consciousness".

-Dave