[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 3 06:40:25 UTC 2010

On Jan 1, 2010,  Dave Sill wrote:

>> From that I conclude that intelligent behavior must produce consciousness.
>
> OK, here you lost me. I don't see how you can say anything stronger
> than "intelligent behavior *can* produce consciousness".

If consciousness were not linked with intelligence it would not exist on this planet. Even if consciousness happened by pure chance it wouldn't last because it would have zero survival value, it would fade away through genetic drift just as the eyes of cave creatures disappear because they are a completely useless aid to survival. In spite of all this right now, a half a billion years after evolution invented brains, I am conscious and you may be too. I can only conclude that consciousness is a byproduct of intelligence, it is the way data feels when it is being processed.

 John K Clark