[ExI] Some new angle about AI

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 02:00:42 UTC 2010

2010/1/2 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/30 Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>:
>> If the brain is computable it does not necessarily mean there will be
>> computational shortcuts in predicting human behaviour. You may just
>> have to simulate the human and let the program run to see what
>> happens.
>
> How can the brain not be computable as far as its *computations* are
> concerned? Because the real point of AGI is certainly not that of
> replicating, say, its metabolism...

It's more an issue for mind uploading that for AGI. The only certain
way to simulate a brain is to simulate the activity of neurons at the
molecular level. Even if we look at a simple binary behaviour such as
whether a neuron fires or not it will be dependent on everything that
goes on inside the cell. There will probably be allowable
computational shortcuts but we can't know without careful research
what these shortcuts will be.

--
Stathis Papaioannou