[ExI] Some new angle about AI

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 10:03:55 UTC 2010

2010/1/2 Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>:
> It's more an issue for mind uploading that for AGI. The only certain
> way to simulate a brain is to simulate the activity of neurons at the
> molecular level. Even if we look at a simple binary behaviour such as
> whether a neuron fires or not it will be dependent on everything that
> goes on inside the cell. There will probably be allowable
> computational shortcuts but we can't know without careful research
> what these shortcuts will be.

Even without shortcuts, or approximations "good enough" not to imply
any perceivable behavioural modifications, an organic brain is a
relatively small system with a very finite number of states. Even very
big brains have some 10^20 or something molecules, and that of. say,
fruitflies orders of magnitude fewer...

--
Stefano Vaj