[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 21:07:10 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Darwin is screaming that intelligence and consciousness are
> two sides of the same coin.

You're screaming it but I don't hear Darwin screaming it. Again amoebas appear to have intelligence but most people including me would find themselves hard-pressed to say they have what I mean by consciousness.

I think Darwin and Searle would enjoy each other's company and never find any reason for disagreement.

Searle: "Some people think human brains work just like computers, but I reject the computationalist theory as false."

Darwin: "What the heck is a computer, and why should anyone believe my theory of evolution gives a hoot about them?"

Might make for an interesting conversation.

-gts