[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 4 17:10:55 UTC 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> amoebas appear to have intelligence but most people including me would find themselves hard-pressed to say they have what I mean by consciousness.

If you are willing to accept the fantastic premise that a amoeba is intelligent I don't understand why you wouldn't also accept the far more modest proposition that it is conscious. According to Evolution consciousness is easy but intelligence is hard; it took far longer to evolve one than the other. The parts of our brain responsible for the most intense emotions like pain fear anger and even love are many hundreds of millions of years old, but the parts responsible for higher intelligence of which we are so proud and which make our species unique are only about one million years old, perhaps less perhaps much less.

> I think Darwin and Searle would enjoy each other's company

Searle would enjoy talking with Darwin but I doubt the feeling would be reciprocated.

 John K Clark