[ExI] Psi (no need to read this post you already knowwhatitsays )

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 8 01:56:32 UTC 2010

On 1/7/2010 3:22 PM, spike wrote:

>> >	...Also, with the phone calls, I would regularly yell to my mom to
>> >answer the phone, and yell who it was calling, and*then*  the phone would
>> > ring. This really freaked my mom out and she finally asked me to stop doing
>> > it. This was in the last 70's and early 80's...

> Perhaps your young ears were able to detect the ultra high frequency sound
> that the 70s era telephone electromechanical devices would make a couple of
> seconds before the phone rang.  Recall those things had a capacitor in them,
> which had to charge, and the discharge cycle would cause the ring to be the
> usual intermittent signal.

Yes, this sort of explanation is just the kind of thing real
parapsychologists immediately look for when examining "natural
experiments." And such explanations can sometimes be overlooked and only
discovered later. But tell me, Spike, how does this account for
controlled double blinded tests where you wait by the phone for a call
from one of several randomized callers at a certain time, hear the ring,
name the caller, then answer--all of this under observation. Pure chance
result, right? What else can it be? But wait--Does the magic capacitor
sound different when it's Aunt Jane or Uncle Bill? Maybe so--do tell.
See the following, and deconstruct away:

<http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Telepathy/Nolan_abs.html>

quote:

< Abstract - Telepathy with the Nolan Sisters

Journal of the Society for Psychical Research 68, 168-172 (2004)
A FILMED EXPERIMENT ON TELEPHONE TELEPATHY WITH THE NOLAN SISTERS
by RUPERT SHELDRAKE, HUGO GODWIN AND SIMON ROCKELL

ABSTRACT:

The ability of people to guess who is calling on the telephone has
recently been tested experimentally in more than 850 trials. The results
were positive and hugely significant statistically. Participants had
four potential callers in distant locations. At the beginning of each
trial, remote from the participant, the experimenter randomly selected
one of the callers by the throw of a die, and asked the chosen caller to
ring the participant. When the phone rang, the participant guessed who
the caller was before picking up the receiver.

By chance, about 25% of the guesses would have been correct. In fact, on
average 42% were correct. The present experiment was an attempt to
replicate previous tests, and was filmed for television. The participant
and her callers were all sisters, formerly members of the Nolan Sisters
band, popular in Britain in the 1980s. We conducted 12 trials in which
the participant and her callers were 1 km apart. Six out of 12 guesses
(50%) were correct. The results were significant at the p=0.05 level.

For full text in html or pdf formats linked at site>

Spike's expected response: well, hmmm, there's got to be a technical
reason for this, but I've got to feed the kid now so I'll think about it
next week if I can remember. My good pal John Clark's response: That
Sheldrake idiot is a fool and made it all up and anyway they cheated and
it's all BULLSHIT, I'm not wasting any time reading this crap. My
response: Hmm, potentially interesting but the numbers are too small to
be anything but extremely provisional, let's see some more replications
by other people.

Damien Broderick