[ExI] Psi. (no need to read this post you already know what itsays )

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 8 19:08:52 UTC 2010

On 1/8/2010 12:40 PM, John Clark wrote:

> At the start of every year for the last 10 years I've made a paranormal
> prediction for the coming year; I've predicted that a positive Psi (or
> ESP or spiritualism) article will NOT appear in Nature or Science or
> Physical Review Letters for the next year

No, you've made a sociologically astute prediction based on your
implicit knowledge of the reigning paradigm prejudices of those
journals. I can make a similar prediction: if any scientist known to be
critical or skeptical of psi-claims does publish a replication paper (in
a peer-reviewed journal willing to print it) supporting the reality of
such phenomena, he or she will immediately become known and mocked as a
"believer" and ignored by all decent right-thinking scientists, at least
on that topic.

(This happens routinely in science, for understandable reasons. An
example discussed recently in the NYT, IIRC, was a woman whose work on
epigenetic effects was dropped scornfully into the trash bin in front of
her by a senior scientist she showed it to, hindering her work for many
years.)

Damien Broderick