[ExI] Some new angle about AI

Aware aware at awareresearch.com
Sat Jan 9 00:35:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Fri, 1/8/10, Aware <aware at awareresearch.com> wrote:
>
>> But there's no understanding in the human brain,
>> either, nor any evidence for it, EXCEPT FOR THE REPORTS OF AN
>> OBSERVER.
>
> And what do you think that observer is reporting about, Jef?
>
> Without your self-reported observations of your own understanding, you would lack intentionality. You would have only weak AI.
>
>> We don't have understanding in our brains, but we
>> don't need it.
>
> Absurd. I suppose you think your sentence above has meaning, and that you understand it. I suppose also that if I removed certain parts of your brain or impaired it with drugs then you would cease to understand it. Sure seems to me that you understand words in your brain.

It's ironic how you strip everything I wrote down to a little sound
bite--removing the context--so you can point to it and call it absurd.
 Ironic because appreciating the importance and role of context is key
to resolving your puzzle.

Have fun.  My holiday visit to Extropy-chat has about run its course.
I've been well-reminded that there's little benefit to continued
participation so I'll simply remain Aware in the background and
perhaps check in with you later.

- Jef