[ExI] EPOC EEG headset

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 22 23:01:11 UTC 2010

On 1/22/2010 4:19 PM, ablainey at aol.com wrote:

> I Just had a go with it. I had to make a quick program to generate mouse
> clicks from some of the EPOC outputs. But now I can type with Dasher,
> Highlight the text, copy, change window, and paste the text all hands free.
> Dasher is slower than typing, but my spelling would be better with it!
> I estimated about 50 wpm on my first attempt, but that should increase
> with use. But it is hands free!

How is this better than dictating to something like Dragon
NaturallySpeaking? It's marvelous, but so is typing with your elbow. No
great benefit unless your vocal chords and fingers have been removed or
disabled. (Is the advantage that it can be done silently? That could be
important on a plane, say, or in a crowded room. If you could do this
without being arrested as a Terrorist with a Device.)

Damien Broderick