[ExI] heaves a long broken psi

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 13:46:16 UTC 2010

On 24 January 2010 01:29, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 1/23/2010 6:06 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
>> I am quite persuaded that if you try and guess a
>> billion time a playing card you guess slightly more often than would
>> be statistically warranted
>
> Experience indicates that this isn't true, actually, because boredom crushes
> whatever is invoked by psi experiments, as it does with imagination, sex,
> and many other human responses. You do better getting a million people to
> make 1000 guesses each, or 10 million to make100.

Yes, whatever... :-)

No, actually I was watching Ghostbusters with my son the other day,
and I  was wondering whether a mechanism of punishment-reward could
actually improve the scores of participants to such experiments.

Something else which came up to my mind is whether different species
of animals would attain similar (better, worse) score in "telepathy"
experiments...

> This is often said dismissively, but I disagree. People turn to QT because
> it is the best theory available for how the real world works, and it
> sometimes turns out that interpretations of QT appear to be consilient with
> at least some psi anomalies, far more so than with the predictions of
> classic physics models. For example, entanglement does act in ways that
> utterly defy traditional notions of separability.

Indeed. But doesn't the theory expressly exclude that entanglement can
be profited from in terms of information exchange? Moreover, wouldn't
any "ordinary", albeit unknown/unclear, way of data transmission work
equally well, at least with regard to the PSI anomalies that are the
most likely to correspond to actual, repeatable phenomena. as in
telepathy between two human subjects in plain view of each other?

--
Stefano Vaj