[ExI] what? what?

Giulio Prisco (2nd email) eschatoon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:58:10 UTC 2010

I often use (s)he, too bad there is no similar trick cannot be used
for "his" and "her".

Ve, vis, ver (eg in Egan's novels) are good inventions but not really
catching on.

There is a trend to use the plural theirs (eg everyone should love
their children).

I can write PCese, but I think I will still refer to football players
as he and to belly dancers as she: it is statistically true, too bad
for PCness.

G.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> ...On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] what? what?
>>
>> 2010/1/25 Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>:
>> > Why?  Just to overturn an established convention that works
>> perfectly well? ... Stefano Vaj
>
> No.  It would be so that we will cheerfully return to using exclusively him
> and he, or exclusively her and she, after being educated on why all the
> alternatives are probably worse.  Using he or she, him or her, breaks up the
> cadence of a thought and messes up literary flow.  Do let us agree to
> dispense with the him or her, use gender specific terms (either gender,
> interchangeably) in an inclusive manner and stop worrying about it being
> sexist.  It really isn't!  We have both genders in every profession now,
> including prostitution:

> So we get it now.  It really isn't about being PC.  I don't even like PC.
> Recall I am the guy or gal who recently suggested modifying John Lenin's
> Imagine to be about creating mind-reading sexbots and making a ton of money.
> You cats didn't even laugh at my silliness, dammit.  {8-[  I don't know why;
> I cracked me up with that gag.  {8^D
>
> Perhaps the late rocker would mildly disapprove?
>
> Let us no longer harm our language (or yours Stefano) with the him or her.
> Let us recognize that "him" and "her" means either him or her, and let it go
> at that.  We hetero boys just need to be cool if we are referred to in the
> femine gender pronoun.  The ladies have had to put up with it since forever.
> We can too.
>
> spike

Giulio Prisco
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Giulio_Prisco