[ExI] funny headlines again

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 19:33:57 UTC 2010

Spike asked Damien if it was getting harder to find good proofreaders. Well, I don't know about the situation in San Antonio, but over in the UK the problem is finding media organisations willing to pay enough money to have a large enough subediting staff. The Daily Telegraph (a daily paper right-wing enough to be nicknamed "The Torygraph") outsourced their subediting to a firm in Australia, whose low-cost values shone through when I discovered a page headed with "Insert Breaker Text Here", suggesting the layout wasn't entirely finished before they went to press.

Spike used an example from FOX - being a Murdoch-owned business, I expect the Great Cost-Slasher himself ordered across the board cuts in every department, drop in production standards be damned.

Tom