[ExI] Hitchens diagnosed with cancer

Ross Evans ross.evans11 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 00:00:20 UTC 2010

2010/7/1 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>

> BREAKING -- From Huffingtonpost.com
>
> Christopher Hitchens' Cancer: Author Undergoing Chemotherapy For
> Esophageal cancer More: Christopher Hitchens, Christopher Hitchens
> Cancer, Christopher Hitchens Esophageal Cancer, Media News
> Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.
>
> The Vanity Fair and Slate columnist and author of recent memoir
> Hitch 22 recently suspended his book tour for what was described as
> "personal reasons."
>
> Now, he reveals in a statement:
>
> I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course
> of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive
> to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such
> short notice. Hitchens, a well-known smoker, attempted in 2008 to
> quit but reportedly still smokes, according to a recent Washington
> Post article.

The fact he is having chemotherapy suggests the cancer is inoperable, and
may only become operable if treatment is sufficiently successful. Overall,
cancer of the oesophageal tissue has a pretty poor prognosis; about one
third of those diagnosed will live a year post diagnosis. It's one of a
worrying large number of cancers in which survival rates have barely moved
in fifty years.

Ross