[ExI] Sigh (was: never say never)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 1 17:10:36 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 7/1/10, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Sigh (was: never say never)
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Date: Thursday, July 1, 2010, 10:02 AM

2010/7/1 Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net>

Of course, in that case, unless and until it can reliably be made use of, it's
practically the same as if it did not exist for most intents and purposes.
If psi is real, that's significant, whether or not there are immediate practical applications, because it indicates that our understanding of how things work is incomplete.

Electricity, nuclear fission/fusion, the laser, ..., could all have been dismissed similarly back before they were understood and exploited. Luckily, some researchers stayed open-minded, and huge breakthroughs with major practical uses resulted.I said "most". ;)  There is a substantial difference between theoretical complete
understanding, and practical application to today's immediate concerns.

That's also why I was noting that it could be insignificant enough to have flown
beneath the radar in this way.  (Or it might not have.  Possibility is not proof.)