[ExI] The System Level Issue

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 14:08:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if we don't in fact live as avatars in a computer game, the point
> is that we could be. We wouldn't know. Moreover, if both are
> equivalent in content we would have no good reason to prefer being in
> reality to being in the simulation.

We might even prefer to be in a simulation.

Base reality may or may not permit time travel.  Whatever we are in
appears not to permit it.  A computer simulation that is check pointed
periodical (the state saved) could be restarted at a check point and
reentered at states corresponding to earlier times.

Keith