[ExI] The System Level Issue

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jul 7 01:37:28 UTC 2010

Keith Henson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Even if we don't in fact live as avatars in a computer game, the point
>> is that we could be. We wouldn't know. Moreover, if both are
>> equivalent in content we would have no good reason to prefer being in
>> reality to being in the simulation.
>>

> We might even prefer to be in a simulation.
>
> Base reality may or may not permit time travel.  Whatever we are in
> appears not to permit it.  A computer simulation that is check pointed
> periodical (the state saved) could be restarted at a check point and
> reentered at states corresponding to earlier times.

Hmm?  Assuming continuous simulation you can't move your state to a past
time that the underlying computing substrate ran in its past and is not
running now.  Ditto for the future.  But you might be able to teleport
if you could persuade that which simulates or is in control of the
simulation to move you to a different part of the currently running
universe.

- s