[ExI] Could Thorium solve our energy problem?

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 10 11:22:57 UTC 2010

On 10 Jul, 2010, at 1:10, John Clark wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2010, at 12:25 AM, Brent Neal wrote:
>
>> I think you are wildly optimistic and haven't done either the research or the math on how much energy is released in U-233 fission.
>
> Optimism has nothing to do with it, I maintain that it is a FACT that one kilogram of thorium contains at a minimum 200 times as much usable energy as a kilogram of Uranium as used in todays slow neutron reactors. This is true for 2 reasons:

Yes, but I assumed that the uranium completely fissioned. Also an optimistic assumption. I pointed that out earlier, and also pointed out that this is a function of the molten salt reactor, not the thorium. You can get that yield on U238 if you run it in a MSR.

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>