[ExI] Could Thorium solve our energy problem?

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 10 14:28:59 UTC 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:22 AM, Brent Neal wrote:

> Yes, but I assumed that the uranium completely fissioned.

There is no way you could get complete uranium fission with the pressurized light water reactors we use today, if you wanted to do that you'd have to switch over to a Plutonium based economy and even worse use fast neutron reactors. Besides the obvious danger from terrorism Plutonium reactors give me the creeps as do fast neutron reactors in general; they are inherently more unforgiving than the slow neutron type that a liquid fuel Thorium reactor would use.

 John K Clark