[ExI] SBSP was Ed Kelly and Transmeta

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jul 12 19:11:11 UTC 2010

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 9 July 2010 17:11, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am also doubtful about how much weight to place on secret blue-sky
>>> projects that are virtually just a few Excel spreadsheets and some
>>> PowerPoint slides. Computers are full of these proposals that will
>>> never enter the real world. I would wait and see whether this new tech
>>> ever gets off the ground before relying on it too much.
>>>
>> Point taken.  However, I didn't lightly abandon something I had worked
>> on for years and finally had a solution that made sense from both the
>> physics and the economics.
>>

> Mmhhh. Science is easy. Engineering? Why, it may or may not be a big deal.
>
> With economics it starts getting complicate.
>
> Law, inertia, cultural resistance and plain old stupidity and biases
> then come into play.
>
> I am not an IP lawyer myself, but you would be surprised to see how
> many inventions or processes are never implemented (sometimes, not
> even patented) that would make good engineering *and* economic sense.

Ideas are cheap and plentiful, especially in their early rather
undeveloped form.  Developed ideas requiring only inputs of money, time,
work and further real (versus only in your head) refinement to make
realized in actual products and services are a good deal less so.  Ideas
that are brought all the way into reality in a way that generates more
value than was consumed in their realization (profit) are the rarest of
all.
> This is why transhumanism is crucial. A cultural revolution was
> necessary to shift the paradigm from hunting-and-gathering to
> something else, another one is required now to bring things to the
> next level.

Please say more about what that next level is beyond what has been done
today.  That is the next step.  I do not see that we are generally all
that clear on that but instead have a a bunch of rather disparate notions.

- s