[ExI] medical marijuana

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 21:57:52 UTC 2010

On 7/14/2010 3:43 PM, Gregory Jones wrote:

> Damien Broderick was the first close friend I ever had who was a genuine
> "hippie" type, and I didn't meet him until I was in my late 30s.

Ha. I was a hippie only in the sense that Dan Quayle was an astronaut.
("Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.")## I
once appeared on TV in the late '60s in Australia made up with goopy
flowers on my face, the makeup grrl's idea of prime hippieness, on a
game show where various imposters vied with the genuine article. I
wasn't picked by any of the panel, so I wasn't even a good fake hippie.
Later on I did have Jesus hair down to my waist, almost, and a hefty
foliage on my face. But I very, very rarely inhaled, and then only out
of politeness. I didn't want to mess with the wetware.

Damien Broderick

##sadly, this is apparently a misquote:

Video footage shows Quayle saying:
	"Thank you very much Bob, Mr. President, Mrs. Bush, Dick Truly and
fellow astronauts, and ladies and gentlemen."

However, this one is even better:

	"Mars is essentially in the same orbit.… Mars is somewhat the same
distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures
where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that
means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
     * Press comment on Mars exploration (11 August 1989), televised on
CNN and referenced in 9/1/89 Washington Post article: "A Quayle Vision
of Mars")