[ExI] medical marijuana

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jul 15 01:25:20 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 7/14/10, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

	On 7/14/2010 3:43 PM, Gregory Jones wrote:

	>> Damien Broderick was the first close friend I ever had who was a
genuine
	>> "hippie" type, and I didn't meet him until I was in my late 30s.

	>Ha. I was a hippie only in the sense that Dan Quayle was an
astronaut...I once appeared on TV in the late '60s...so I wasn't even a good
fake hippie. Later on I did have Jesus hair down to my waist, almost, and a
hefty foliage on my face...	Damien Broderick

Pal, where I grew up, that would have easily earned you the uncontested
title.  Everywhere you went, you would hear comments such as "Lord Almighty!
Martha!  Get them children indoors!"

	##sadly, this is apparently a misquote:

	Video footage shows Quayle saying:
	    "Thank you very much Bob, Mr. President, Mrs. Bush, Dick Truly
and fellow astronauts, and ladies and gentlemen."

Ja, that and some of the other stuff was apparently exaggerated, or a
put-on.  With the current VP, we can use actual quotes.  It continues to
this day.  I saw a survey where they asked who said "I can see Russia from
my house."  Something over 70% of Americans answered Sarah Palin.*

When I really knew Quayle was a bad choice was at his nomination, when he
tried to do an acceptance speech.  The man looks like he took a triple dose
of beta blockers.  I need to look for a YouTube of that speech.  A deer in
the headlights look is an understatement.

	   ...Quayle: "Mars is essentially in the same orbit.. Mars is
somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important...

Sure, if we verrry loosely interpret the modifier "somewhat."

 ...We have seen pictures where there are canals...

That was pure idiocy.

... we believe, and water...

Well, he turned out to be right on that.

...If there is water, that means there is oxygen...

Sounds odd, but technically correct.  Water is mostly oxygen.  Of course the
same argument could be applied to Venus, which has plenty of carbon dioxide,
which is over a third oxygen.

...If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

Well, sure, after we crack the water.

Note I am not defending Dan Quayle.  I thought he was waaay out of his
league, as is our current VP, and Palin.  The scary part is if we quizzed
every POTUS and VPOTUS and their challengers since Jimmy Carter, the level
of scientific ignorance would likely be nearly this high.  Jimmuh was a
nuclear engineer, a smart one I understand (applied mathematics at Georgia
Tech, top 10% at the US Naval Academy), but wasn't particularly successful
in office.  McCain and both of the Bushes were fighter pilots, so one would
think they would need to know something about something.

spike

*Tina Fey, goofing on Sarah Palin.  Palin said you can see Russia from
Alaska, which is true.