[ExI] Current Psychology

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:48:18 UTC 2010

2010/7/30 Sabrina Ballard <sabrina.ballard at hotmail.com>:
> The Western Psychological profession as a whole seems to be very out of
> touch. They still cling to clearly outdated modes from Freud, while physical
> medicine seems to be moving forward in its models. Is this my subjective
> interpretation, or are any of you able to access information that would
> confirm and/or deny this feeling.
>
> Is there some benefit to Western Psychology in clinging to the ideas of
> Freud and Jung? Are other models too flawed to take their places?

Clinical psychology at least in English-speaking countries is
dominated by Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, while psychiatry is
dominated by biological psychiatry, involving the use of physical
therapies such as medication. There are still some psychoanalytic
therapists who base their work on Freud and his disciples, but they
are rarer.

--
Stathis Papaioannou