[ExI] Religions and violence

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 19:26:44 UTC 2010

Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> All I am telling is that there is much
> potential in
> Islam to improve and become acceptable in modern times. And
> they should do
> so not for us merely, but for themselves too.

Well, I'd love for that to be true.

The thing is, I'm skeptical of it.

How do you think Islam could become more humanitarian, more egalitarian, more tolerant, less violent, stop oppressing women and homosexuals, stop trying to control people's sex lives, stop trying to convert the whole world to Islam, etc., and not destroy itself?

Or do you mean different things by 'improve' and 'become acceptable in modern times'?

I'm struggling to understand how an 'improved' Islam, in any meaningful sense, could still be Islam.  Unless you're talking about very minor things, like for instance stop telling guys what haircuts are acceptable.

What's your vision of a modern, acceptable Islam, that can co-exist with the rest of the world?

Ben Zaiboc