[ExI] to install

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 3 16:41:20 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 6/3/10, samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> How is that?  There are huge costs.  They instill
> mystical claptrap as the basis for everything they
> teach.  It becomes a sort of package deal in the minds
> of many.  The claptrap is the reason why the morality
> is so and the reason why every thing good in their lives is
> good is because they are good.  Vicious circle.
> This is not by accident.  Religions are designed to
> install themselves in this way.  Instead of learning
> ethics on the basis of reason and reality a version of
> ethics is learned based on mysticism and acceptance on
> faith.  This is incredibly costly.  It splits the
> mind that takes it seriously.   Most minds
> don't take it that seriously out of self-defense.  As a
> result ethics becomes this untrustworthy realm one gives lip
> service to but really does not have integrated at all.
> Morality is split from reality.  The mind
> compartmentalizes after all and simply will no longer look
> at some things deeply.    Very costly.

I probably didn't explain myself properly again.  Yesterday I visited an old friend, that like Spike, has a 2 year old.  She has recently returned to church. She is very well aware of the garbage they teach.  So when I asked, "why go then?". She replied, "it's the only place I know that people help each other and help others in a community environment."

I always liked church as a social network but don't agree with what is taught.

--- On Thu, 6/3/10, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even though I am not especially a fan of "religious"
> jargon, nor am
> persuaded that we should indulge in it, I would have
> nothing per se
> against the fact of children going once a week to a
> building called
> "church of Extropy"... ;-)

Cute but that is where I was going with this.  I was thinking how great it would be if people could go once a week and be taught the real facts.  Learn about respect, honesty, helping others, believing in a cosmic energy for the greater good.  If churches could be replaced with "Community centers" everyone would benefit.  Yes I know, wishful thinking.

Anna