[ExI] John W. Campbell in 1942 predicts the future

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 18:57:48 UTC 2010

On 6/14/2010 10:52 AM, Keith Henson wrote:

> About the same time, AC Clarke wrote into his stories that it would
> take billions of years to generate artificial minds.

No, a million or so in THE CITY AND THE STARS, and it was not your usual
AI in a box.

"No disembodied intelligence had ever been encountered in the natural
Universe; the Empire set out to create one. We have forgotten, with so
much else, the skills and knowledge that made this possible. The
scientists of the Empire had mastered all the forces of Nature, all the
secrets of time and space. As our minds are the by-product of an
immensely intricate arrangement of brain cells, linked together by the
network of the nervous system, so they strove to create a brain whose
components were not material, but patterns embossed upon space itself.
Such a brain, if one can call it that, would use electrical or yet
higher forces for its operation, and would be completely free from the
tyranny of matter. It could function with far greater speed than any
organic intelligence; it could endure as long as there was an erg of
free energy left in the Universe, and no limit could be seen for its
powers. Once created, it would develop potentialities which even its
makers could not foresee.
	"Largely as a result of the experience gained in his own regeneration,
Man suggested that the creation of such beings should be attempted. It
was the greatest challenge ever thrown out to intelligence in the
Universe, and after centuries of debate it was accepted. All the races
of the Galaxy joined together in its fulfilment.
	"More than a million years were to separate the dream from the reality."

The billion or more happened after the first disembodied AI went feral
and started to chew up the universe, before it was shoved into what
sounds very like a black hole.

The key place where Campbell went wrong was supposing that nuclear
energy would be easy to handle, and ubiquitous (and in 1942 he can't be
faulted for not knowing--Fermi's first reactor wasn't critical until
December of that year).

Damien Broderick