[ExI] John W. Campbell in 1942 predicts the future

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 00:49:57 UTC 2010

Joseph Campbell wrote way back in 1942:
<Socio-technical pressures after the war will be, for some time,
directed toward rebuilding Europe, but with atomic technology coming
in, and the immense population now available, that job will be
effectively completed within 5 years. The time for interplanetary
overflow will be at hand. First explorers, then colonies, then--the
old cycle over again. Eventually, someday in the not-too-remote
future, there will be overflow toward other stellar systems. The
overflow will probably be directly from Earth, not from the other
Solar planets. Earth will always develop the highest pressures; man is
ideally adapted to this planet, and is bound to breed and work best
here. The pressure will be for the discovery of other stellar planets
more nearly identical to Earth in climate.

I think he (and many others) underestimated the cost effectiveness of
settling people on other planets and space colonies.  It is still very
much NOT the way to deal with over-population issues! LOL  But a
century from now (or sooner) we may be at the point where traveling to
Mars, etc., is not much more expensive than a modern-day trip to
Europe from the U.S., via airplane or ship.

John