[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning forcyber-heaven

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Jun 16 22:49:38 UTC 2010

Spike wrote:

>The central point of transhumanism is the notion that it is
>physically possible to upload sentience into another substrate.  I

I think it's a serious error to say that. Transhumanism is a
philosophy that seeks to continually overcome human limits, including
mortality and the cognitive and emotional limits imposed by the human
constitution as it naturally evolved. Personally, I think that
uploading is feasible in principle and I don't have any personal
identity based objections to it, but it is only one possible path in
the future. You can be (and remain) a transhumanist if you expect
uploading to be impossible or deadly or if it turns out not to be feasible.

'nuff said. I see that Damien and Natasha both made similar points.

Let's be careful not to identify transhumanism essentially with any
one path or technology.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher