[ExI] Dark doubts

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 23:53:08 UTC 2010

From: Gregory Jones <spike66 at att.net>

I had no idea you were involved in COBE, Spike. Much respect. There are also various Hubble pics online that show light being distorted by dark matter when galaxy clusters collide. Here is a pretty one:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/astronomynews/2007S1/DarkMatterRing.jpg

When I first saw this picture, I thought it was a nebula, but then I noticed those points of light embedded in it are not stars but entire galaxies. That would be a huge cloud of gas, millions of light years across. Then I read the story.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2007/17/full/

Seems pretty convincing to me that galaxies are swimming in something that has enough mass to bend light and, as you pointed out, cause stars in the disk of galaxies to violate Kepler's Laws.

Stuart LaForge

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."-Carl Sagan