[ExI] (Exl) A delicate egg

udend05 at aol.com udend05 at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 22:43:00 UTC 2010

Leaving aside issues of a more personal nature taking place on the list at the moment, what is to happen to this 'delicate egg' of transhumanism? How can it be portrayed in a healthy and sustainable way so that it is not only brought into the general arena, but also in a way that is acceptable to the mainstream? What political steps must be taken? Accepting that it is essential for there to be some kind of consensus in transhumanist thinking, how can that be reached? What is blocking it? Is there too much debate over particular technologies, leading to a clouding of the central issue of the desirability of using technology to improve our lot? Is enough attention being paid to push scientific progress at the legislative level?

My own belief is that the first step must be towards creating a consistent body of academic work to form the foundation for a movement that is consistent on the inside. Debate over specific technologies and their desirability/feasibility must take a back seat to this overarching goal. But who is to take on this work? And how are others' to bring themselves in line with it without compromising their own beliefs?

Food for thought.

Best,
Damian U.