[ExI] psi yet again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 16:44:30 UTC 2010

On 6/29/2010 2:40 AM, John Clark wrote:

> Damien why art't you a Billionaire? You know how lotto companies make
> huge profits off a scam. a enormously profitable    but don't even hint
> how that scam acutely works. I wouldn't either if I were a Billionaire

This is probably the least responsive reply I've ever seen on this list.

Lotto does make huge profits, but is it a scam? No--the fact has never
been hidden that governments and the companies involve take a large
profit off the top, before the rest is distributed to winners.

By "how that scam acutely works" I assume you mean "Why do punters keep
betting, even though their chances of winning are one in millions, and
the prize pool is only half of what is invested?" The answer is obvious:
punters are getting the thrill of anticipation each time they buy a
moderately priced ticket. There is always the possibility that they
might become instantly very wealthy. What's hard to grasp about this?

I still look forward to reading your explanation of how psi that affects
perhaps one guess in 1000 would destroy the profits of lotto companies,
and how many extra winners it would yield, and why having a few extra
winners would change anything at all.

Is it possible that you *don't* understand how lotto profits are
distributed?

Damien Broderick