[ExI] The Chess Room

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:22:00 UTC 2010

Here is a very interesting and possibly consequence-bearing way to rephrase
my idea in a heretofore unstated manner: *any given number of people will be
able to pass the Turing Test as a group.*  We say a human is conscious
because we deem him so by observation; we are also aware that the
constituent mental structures which produce this consciousness are NOT aware
of the greater emergent mind themselves.  They are merely effectors of a
higher-level product.  So this would seem to imply that a group of people
responding to the Turing Test DOES produce a consciousness that is
discernable by us humans, *in essence, the same way the brain does,* yet
those people themselves are not aware of the meta mind.  Why should this
consciousness not exist in the same way our own does?