[ExI] The Chess Room

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 19:12:30 UTC 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Will Steinberg wrote:

>  any given number of people will be able to pass the Turing Test as a group.
Of course, but I do not think they would be able to unless they were intentionally trying to do so. The actions of mobs, crowds, markets, etc. are somewhat chaotic and do not have the cohesiveness necessary to pass a Turing Test. By intention, a group of people could pass it together, of course, but that's hardly a fair assessment of whether or not these spontaneous collections of people arising without central purpose would be able to do so. I think it is more likely that we would be able to tell they are composed of a multitude rather than have a cohesive idea of "self."

Though, if one could demonstrate that they do have that capacity (and I'm skeptical), then I suppose I would have to admit that those minds can be said to exist, if only as a second-order, derivative result of the people within it (and thus not capable of independent rights of its own, as any such rights would violate the rights we normal old humans have).

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com