[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 2 23:26:09 UTC 2010

________________________________

	From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jeffery P.
Davis
	Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:28 PM
	To: ExI chat list
	Subject: Re: [ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

		Welcome Jeff!

	> I don't want to be stuck in the position of an old dinosaur that's
still sitting around using e-mail for everything when everyone else has
moved on.  :-)

Dont worry Jeffery, you won't be left behind.  This kind of forum creates an
archive that can be very useful many years down the road.  Twitter and some
of these other fora don't really do that, and it's a good thing they don't.

	> Any way you look at it, mailing lists are in a state of decline
because e-mail is becoming less popular as a medium...

It has its enduring value, analgous to telephones today.

	>...I changed my display name to a fuller version which should help
with that problem...

Ja it does.  Another of our Jeffs signs -Jef, so I assume that is why he
does that, to prevent being conflated with Jeff Davis the first.

	>...Being a doppleganger is the curse of my existence.  I'm always
running into situations with multiple Jeffs, getting mail for the several
other Jeff Davis's in my city...

In this case it is good, for we hold both of our other two Jeffs in high
esteem.  Can we call you Jeffery?  Then we have Jef, Jeff and Jeffery.  I
know how it goes with common names.  I am Greg Jones, so nearly 30 yrs ago I
became Spike Jones.  Then later I found out there was a proto-Weird Al
Yankovich sort from the 1950s who had that name.  Doh!

	>...and being told I look like someone else...

Me too, Jimmy Stewart.  I am deeply flattered by that, since Stewart is one
of my all time favorite actors, and also a fine person off the set.  There
was a most hilarious skit on the short-lived Dana Carvey show in which
Stewart was a guest star.  He dressed up as Dana Carvey and Carvey dressed
up as Stewart, then they played each other in a skit in which the
star-struck Carvey played by Stewart was interviewing the veteran actor
Stewart, played by Carvey.  The Stewart character suggests to the young
actor an exercise in which the actors play each other.  So now Stewart is
dressed as Carvey, playing himself, and Carvey is doing likewise.  That was
cutting edge comedy twenty years ago, and is still hilarious.

We have a lady who occasionally posts here who is a body double for Sandra
Bullock.

		>>...In any case, welcome sir!  Do tell us something,
anything, (if you wish)...

	>...I'm 30 years old, male, married, and from an intellectually
backwards mid-sized Ohio city...

Part of my youth was misspent in Ironton Ohio, coal country.

	>...I love discussing big ideas...

Sound like you have come to the right place.  Do read this at your
convenience, as it is still the best outline of what we are about here:

http://www.maxmore.com/extprn3.htm

  >...Traditionally the go-to person for discussing 'big ideas' has been the
local priest...

Indeed?

>...but over time I've discovered priests are completely ill-equipped to
deal with the kinds of questions I consider important and thus I've lost
most interest in religion...

Same here, with the long painful process of becoming a flaming atheist
reaching completion when I was about the age you are now.

	>... didn't know about the affluence gap between Facebook and
Myspace.  Hard to take such a person seriously...

Uhoh, I am sooo not hip.  Do explain the affluence gap between Facebook and
Myspace.  I refuse to participate in either, but didn't realize one was for
rich and other for poor.  Is that what you meant?