[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

Jeffery P. Davis heavensblade23 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:56:23 UTC 2010

>        > Any way you look at it, mailing lists are in a state of decline
> because e-mail is becoming less popular as a medium...
>
> It has its enduring value, analgous to telephones today.

Well of course *we* think that, given that we're using e-mail to conduct
this
discussion.  The question is whether up-and-coming generations feel that
way.

It seems to me the need to have an e-mail address is slowly going away.
I've encountered
an increasing number of sites that ask you to link a facebook account rather
than authenticate an
e-mail address.

I don't even know the e-mail address of a lot of people I interact with
frequently online, it's just never come up.
I've never asked and they've never offered.

> In this case it is good, for we hold both of our other two Jeffs in high
> esteem.  Can we call you Jeffery?  Then we have Jef, Jeff and Jeffery.  I
> know how it goes with common names.  I am Greg Jones, so nearly 30 yrs ago
> became Spike Jones.  Then later I found out there was a proto-Weird Al
> Yankovich sort from the 1950s who had that name.  Doh!

You can call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner!

<rimshot>

I actually don't have any particular attachment to my name, either.  If it
wasn't
such a hassle I'd probably change my name about as often as I change my
e-mail
address...once every 2-3 years.  It's kind of strange people have particular
attachments
to names that were given to them by others.

Uhoh, I am sooo not hip.  Do explain the affluence gap between Facebook and
> Myspace.  I refuse to participate in either, but didn't realize one was for
> rich and other for poor.  Is that what you meant?

One can't be expected to know *everything* about internet culture, of
course.  It's
a general ignorance I was lamenting, considering how internet culture is
starting to drive
popular culture.

Facebook is frequented by a more affluent audience that fled from Myspace
when the former
became open-registration.  Myspace is now primarily frequented by black
urban youth and
poor whites.  You might even argue the Myspace exodus was a form of white
flight as the medium
became more popular with black youth.  Vast simplification, but that's
basically how the cards fall.
You see a lot of upper middle-class folks on Facebook of the kind you almost
never found on myspace.

--
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be
other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be