[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 00:21:06 UTC 2010

Welcome, Jeffery!

2010/3/2 Jeffery P. Davis <heavensblade23 at gmail.com>:

>>        > Any way you look at it, mailing lists are in a state of decline
>> because e-mail is becoming less popular as a medium...
>>
>> It has its enduring value, analgous to telephones today.
>

> Well of course *we* think that, given that we're using e-mail to conduct
> this
> discussion.  The question is whether up-and-coming generations feel that
> way.

E-mail isn't "cool", but neither is electricity. I'm with Spike on the
continuing usefulness of e-mail.

> It seems to me the need to have an e-mail address is slowly going away.
> I've encountered
> an increasing number of sites that ask you to link a facebook account rather
> than authenticate an
> e-mail address.

I'll be a cold day in hell before I give a site access to my Facebook account.

> I don't even know the e-mail address of a lot of people I interact with
> frequently online, it's just never come up.
> I've never asked and they've never offered.

So what do you use for private point-to-point e-comm? Text messaging?
Facebook mail? Neither holds a candle to e-mail.

> Facebook is frequented by a more affluent audience that fled from Myspace
> when the former
> became open-registration.  Myspace is now primarily frequented by black
> urban youth and
> poor whites.  You might even argue the Myspace exodus was a form of white
> flight as the medium
> became more popular with black youth.  Vast simplification, but that's
> basically how the cards fall.
> You see a lot of upper middle-class folks on Facebook of the kind you almost
> never found on myspace.

Curious, given that both are free... I started with Myspace but never
really liked it. When I found Facebook, I never looked back. Still
don't rely on it heavily, though.

-Dave