[ExI] intellectual property again

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 19:51:34 UTC 2010

Some funny things happen with copyrights. For instance, the folks at mises.org found that many economics classics by Austrian or related economists now deceased were published by small presses that went under. This is partly because, among the Establishment, these economists were unpopular, so they rarely got approved for the bigger presses. The windfall is that the copyrights were not renewed, so a lot of this stuff is public domain and mises.org has taken to making them available online for free. Had these same writers been taken up by the bigger publishing houses, they might have enjoyed a little more money, but given the small audience and brief press runs, they would now be out of print and likely unavailable for free download if they were available in any form at all -- certainly, the copyrights would've been renewed. In other words, the failure to renew copyrights has actually given these works a new life.

Regards,

Dan