[ExI] The Transhumanist Reader: What writing would you include?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Mar 12 01:45:13 UTC 2010

Fellow extropians and fellow-traveling transhumanists:

As has been mentioned before, Natasha, Anders, and I are working on a
collection called The Transhumanist Reader. It is intended to be a
central reference work on transhumanism, focusing especially (but not
exclusively) on material from the1980s and 1990s, including work
originally published in Extropy magazine or talks delivered at the
Extro conferences. We aim to have the collection published by an
academic publisher.

We've had encouraging responses from invited contributors already
(already adding up to a couple of dozen likely inclusions), but I'd
like to invite long-term and well-read subscribers to this list to
suggest pieces they think would be well suited to this collection.
Items may be articles, blog posts, the text of talks, or possibly
specific excerpts from books. Which pieces do you think are important
to the formation of modern transhumanism? Which influenced you? Which
stand out as effectively conveying some crucial aspect of
transhumanist thinking?

Suggested pieces can be anything from a few hundred words to around
4,000. Longer pieces up to 6,000 might be feasible. We expect to
organize the volume into these six sections:

-- Historical Perspectives: Philosophy, Statements, Manifestos
-- Scientific and Technological Advances
-- Human Enhancement
-- Life and Anti-Death
-- Ethics and Biopolitics
-- Smarter Futures/transhuman rationality

Although we are especially interested in including "classics" of
transhumanism, we are also including some more recent pieces and a
few completely new papers.

There has been some recent discussion here of old classic posts to
the original Extropy email list. That might be a source of good
material that we haven't yet considered -- due to the rather large volume.

Please respond publicly or privately. Thanks

Onward!

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher