[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 78, Issue 30

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:56:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> "fully infiltrate"...I guess if you don't mind your head exploding in the process.

I suggest that you read some of the basic literature on
nanotechnology.  Say _Engines of Creastion_, Eric Drexler's 1986 book.
 It's online, so you don't even need to buy a copy.  Nanotech devices
are really small compared to human nerve cells.

> Or are you proposing that all these nanobots be zero volume? And what of their heat dissipation? That's also a lot of data to be pumping over a limited bandwidth and then consider everyone doing it in parallel. I think your perspective is too high level. Start at the bottom with a reasonable volume estimate per nanobot and re-run your simulation.

I did this a couple of decades ago.  So did a number of other highly
capable technical people.  Here is an example that goes into the
scale.

http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/cellrepairmachines.html

Search Google for "cell repair machines."  You will get about 50,000 hits.

snip

> Your claim for a loss of continuity

"No lost of."

> assumes somethings that are not reasonable when looking at real structures made of atoms that require nutrients, waste removal, and heat management.

I am very aware (as most electrical engineers are) of waste heat
management.  As long as you are sticking to normal brain speed it is
not a problem.  Where you need forced cooling is to run much faster.

If you want to run the numbers and show this is impossible, be my guest.

Keith