[ExI] Bodies

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Mar 18 15:40:02 UTC 2010

Lee wrote:

"Myself, I'm talking about an "endpoint" a very long time in the future,
where the nearest thing one would have to a real body is a set of remotes
coursing through space and the surface of worlds. *That*, to me, is
ultimate. To the degree I understand it, you and they are talking about
something much more near term."

This thread has fluctuated between individual desires of uploading or not,
plausibility of uploading, getting there, and alternatives to uploading.
The metabrain is both an alternative and a process in getting there.  Since
the metabrain is HCI, it is a step along with way to whole brain emulation.

I don't see a definitive endpoint, but I suppose the noosphere or connective
intelligence is what we tend to think of as an endpoint, similar to your
"remote coursing". I see this as a goal, but not necessary an endpoint.

"Are you repelled by the thought of not having any longer a real body
whatsoever, but merely the feel and appearance of one (or more)? Don't
consider that an argument---I really and sincerely just want to know."

My work, in practice and theory, has indicated that disembodiedment is a
misconception because regardless of what form, shape, material, or substrate
we embellish, we will have some type of vehicle to encapsulate mind
(awareness/consciousness), be that individual existence or connective
existence.

**My work does not reflect an attachment to the human body but offers
alternative bodies as non-biological and pro-synthetic, as well as no
human-looking body at all. I personally am not repelled by not having a
"real" body.**

"I certainly agree with your following."

> (which is a vital part of Primo Posthuman
> http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0405.html
> ) was
> *applauded* by the audience.) And with the excitement came all the
> issue surrounding metabrain and the whole brain emulation upload,
> which share some identifiable links.
>
> Discussions on this list ought to revolve around the research, the
> methods, the funding, the socio-political issues, the costs, the pros and
cons, etc.
> and not get boggled down by whether or not someone believes either a
> metabrain or upload will or will not come about.  Both are being
> researched and there is money funding it.  The metabrain is easier to
> swallow, to be sure, but the whole brain emulation is of great interest to
many.

Nlogo1.tif Natasha Vita-More