[ExI] Bodies

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Mar 18 05:13:54 UTC 2010

Natasha Vita-More wrote:

> The more apt conversation ought to concern methodologies in gaining
> momentum on these processes.

Quite true. I guess that's your "day job", but it isn't mine (worse,
I suppose, for me).

> To argue whether or not there will be whole
> brain emulation (upload) is more provoking and even some of the brightest
> thinkers are not sold on this notion.  (I was just a panelist on "AI" at the
> SXSWi with http://my.sxsw.com/e/403  Doug Lenat, Bart Selman and Peter
> Stone, Mason Hale. Listening to the audience reaction (a packed conference
> room at the Hilton), it was very evident that the concept of a "Metabrain"

Sorry, I needed to examine http://metabraingrowthprocess.tribe.net/
to follow you here. In particular,

    <From cyborg components for theraputic and augmentative ends
    to the ultimate goal of moving sentient entities into faster,
    more powerful, and more durable hardware (~5,000 ave. lifespan
    estimates) in a safe and effective manner, this tribe is intended
    as a center for discussion, networking, and collaborative effort.>

Myself, I'm talking about an "endpoint" a very long time in the
future, where the nearest thing one would have to a real body
is a set of remotes coursing through space and the surface of
worlds. *That*, to me, is ultimate. To the degree I understand
it, you and they are talking about something much more near term.

Are you repelled by the thought of not having any longer a real
body whatsoever, but merely the feel and appearance of one (or
more)? Don't consider that an argument---I really and sincerely
just want to know.

I certainly agree with your following.

Lee