[ExI] The "real" world

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 26 06:16:44 UTC 2010

Stefano writes

> On 24 March 2010 17:40, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> So now this is my thought experiment: if one became convinced that moderate
>> CR would slow the aging process 10 to 20 percent, and the only way you could
>> do moderate CR is to surgically switch off the taste sense, would you do it?
>
> What does "slowing the aging process" mean?
>
> If I were to get cryosuspended one day a week, or to travel at a
> relativist speed, indeed my aging process would be "slowed" for
> outsiders, but the real point would be to live *more*, not just *at a
> slower pace*, would it not?
>
> Now, the [suspicion] exists that even if some life-extending effects were
> actually produced by CR, you would simply be trading duration of life
> against intensity...
>
> Would it really be such a big deal?

That would entirely depend on one's values, and also how well
the cravings can be fought, both of which clearly vary a lot
from person to person.

In Spike's case, he'd mentioned that he simply didn't seem
to have as much enjoyment of taste as others seemed to (if
I did not misunderstand).

Like I said, some live to eat---and a lot of folks are on
this spectrum. I doubt if anyone on this list will demur
from Spike's challenge, i.e., surrender life-that-goes-on-and-on-forever
just so they can enjoy good food instead of mush.

Lee