[ExI] Ants again! At Caltech.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:09:34 UTC 2010

I thought this might be of interest to LA folk.
(I'm looking at you, Spike!).

<http://www.skeptic.com/upcoming-lectures/adventures-among-ants/>

Adventures Among Ants:
A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions

    * Event Date: Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm
    * Location: Baxter Lecture Hall
    * Speaker: Dr. Mark Moffett
    * Tickets: First come, first served at the door. Seating is
limited. $8 for Skeptics Society members and the JPL/Caltech
community, $10 for nonmembers. Your admission fee is a donation that
pays for our lecture expenses.

INTREPID INTERNATIONAL EXPLORER, biologist, and National Geographic
photographer Mark W. Moffett, “the Indiana Jones of entomology,” takes
us around the globe on a strange and colorful journey in search of the
hidden world of ants. In tales from Nigeria, Indonesia, the Amazon,
Australia, California, and elsewhere, Moffett recounts his
entomological exploits and provides fascinating details on how ants
live and how they dominate their ecosystems through strikingly human
behaviors, yet at a different scale and a faster tempo. Moffett’s
spectacular close-up photographs shrink us down to size, so that we
can observe ants in familiar roles; warriors, builders, big-game
hunters, and slave owners. We find them creating marketplaces and
assembly lines and dealing with issues we think of as uniquely human —
including hygiene, recycling, and warfare. VISIT
www.adventuresamongants.com. (Book signing to follow lecture.)

BillK