[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Tim Halterman timhalterman at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:38:16 UTC 2010

I realize I'm relying on the "woo-woo and future miracle science" but you
could also look at a contract with Alcor simply as sure intention that you
have a desire to be revived in the future.  Let's jump forward 1,000 years
or so and say there is a technology developed that can retrieve the
consciousness of any individual who ever existed.  While I can't pretend to
understand their morality I could imagine then asking, "But did they WANT to
be retrieved?"   A contract with Alcor at least provides a record and shows
a solid commitment to the desire of being revived in the future.  If I had
that technology I know that would be the first list I go to.

Damien wrote:
Suppose the remains had been cremated and cemented into a mausoleum. Would
you still advocate retrieving the ashes and freezing *them*?

- Contractual obligations of freezing aside I would not be opposed to Alcor
simply retrieving the ashes for storage or dictating they're best preserved
where they are.  Freezing ashes would probably cause more harm than good.
(although I'm no expert on that)

As for the go, no go point and being determined by experts, again I'm going
to have to point out that all the knowledge of today can only make an
educated guess as to what be possible tomorrow.  In my opinion it is best to
err on the side of preservation over abandonment, but of course I'm biased.

-Tim