[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 23:28:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 5:33 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
>
>> If Alcor doesn't freeze the
>> putrefied remnant of Mr. Richardson's brain/head, then they seem to
>> leave themselves open to charges of fraud, breach of contract, or
>> perhaps something else.  So they've gotta freeze.
>
> I'm trying to think of a parallel case;

Keep trying, Damien.

The heart transplant comparison doesn't work because heart transplants
are established, conventional, regulated medicine, performed on live
people, and with proven outcomes.  The Xians who refused to allow the
individual to receive the life-saving medical care he had sought and
paid for might well be facing criminal charges.  Not so with
Richardson and his loving family.

By the way, not to be too picky, but the subject line says "weird",
but I don't see it that way.  This is not at all weird because it is
not about Richardson's failed neuro.  It is about Alcor acting
responsibly in regard to its FUTURE clientele, who would be severely
impacted by a precedent whereby any future Alcor client could be
unceremoniously dumped in a grave -- in contravention of their clear
desire to be suspended -- and the survivors just phone up Alcor and
tell them where to send the refund check.  Nothing weird about getting
a judgment that puts and end to that idea .

Best, Jeff Davis

 "Death is really just an engineering problem."
                      Regina Pancake