[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 04:16:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:24 PM, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> .... the corpses of Eva Peron and Lenin, who were so well embalmed that they showed no signs of putrefecation years after they died."

Hot damn! Daniel.  Thank you.  I hadn't thought along those lines at
all -- chemical fixation by formaldehyde -- but of course, you're
right.

Chemical fixation and dessication/drying have on occasion be suggested
as alternatives to low temp (ie cryo) preservation.  But little
discussion has followed, for whatever reason.  I suspect because we
already have a method and an implementing infrastructure.  Buy it
seems eminently  reasonable to ask about the comparative pros and cons
of all preservation methods.

But, bottom line is, as you note, if Mr. Richardsons's brain has been
adequately preserved, by whatever means, then he's still in the game.
Hurrah!  I really feel a lot better about this now.

We would all do well to remember three words: information theoretic death.

> he would have been better off if some shred of his living tissue had been frozen down for potentially cloning him a new body, etc.

I think his DNA is still recoverable (If dna can be recovered from
dinosaurs, wooly mammoths, etc...).

 "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                        Ray Charles