[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:31:51 UTC 2010

On 5/18/10, spike wrote:

>  Contractual obligation, OK got that.

Come on......  Pull the other one.
The customer had a contract for a complete head suspension.
Not an empty shiny white skull suspension.
He should ask for his money back.  Oh wait.........

>  OK cool, new one.  Societal obligation regarding funerary tradition.

Another bit of nonsense.
How can you possibly call cryonics a societal funerary tradition?
1) It's certainly not traditional.
2) It's certainly not a societal thing. (Most of society is against it).
3) It's not even funerary. It's classified as organ donation.

>  Excellent Stuart!  Good thinking.  Not only did you produce a well-reasoned
>  response, but also a suggestion to prevent a similar situation in the
>  future.
>
>  There is a wild new frontier opened up if one gives Alcor limited power of
>  attorney.  If this is done, a family who wasn't informed about an Alcor
>  client's status could be liable as all hell if they didn't know what they
>  were supposed to do.

Sorry, not possible. Power of attorney expires at the same time as the
person it covers. Dead people don't have legal representatives. I
think the terms would have to be written into the will, which any
lawyer would be obligated to fulfil.

>  What if the family were *slightly* guilty, for dismissing the client's talk
>  of cryonics as the ramblings of a sick mind?  I have family members who
>  treat my talk of cryonics as the natural insanity-inducing result of
>  rejecting god.  In their minds, this is rejecting the perfectly obvious
>  truth, which is clear evidence of mental illness.  I don't know how I will
>  work around that, but I do not want them held legally liable for their
>  religious views, even if I disagree and suffer as a result.  So I probably
>  wouldn't give Alcor limited power of attorney, but would look for some
>  reasonable alternative.

Wills can be set aside if mental incapacity can be proved. Care should
be taken to protect against this possibility.

BillK