[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue May 18 15:30:52 UTC 2010

Il 18/05/2010 16.43, spike ha scritto:

> Excellent Stuart!  Good thinking.  Not only did you produce a
> well-reasoned response, but also a suggestion to prevent a similar
> situation in the future.

> There is a wild new frontier opened up if one gives Alcor limited
> power of attorney.  If this is done, a family who wasn't informed
> about an Alcor client's status could be liable as all hell if they
> didn't know what they were supposed to do.

IANAL, but there is a legal principle that say "no one can be held
responsible to not doing the impossible".
If the family don't know, they can not be held responsible.
But if they know, they can be held responsible.

> What if the family were *slightly* guilty, for dismissing the
> client's talk of cryonics as the ramblings of a sick mind?

For what I understand the thing it is "guilty" or "not  guilty".
What they are guilty or not guilty could change with the circumstances.

> I have family members who treat my talk of cryonics as the natural
> insanity-inducing result of rejecting god.

Their problems, not yours.

> In their minds, this is rejecting the perfectly obvious truth, which
> is clear evidence of mental illness.

Again, their problems, not yours.

> I don't know how I will work around that, but I do not want them held
> legally liable for their religious views, even if I disagree and
> suffer as a result.  So I probably wouldn't give Alcor limited power
> of attorney, but would look for some reasonable alternative.

I would suggest to give Alcor the limited power of attorney, then tell
your relatives about it and the legal consequences of their actions.

They are not legally liable for their religious view, but for their
actions. If they know the consequences of their actions they are
entitled to decide if it worth to pay for them.

Mirco